We are creatures of habit. We like to make sense of the world by having things go the same way all the time. Most of us work best when we know what's happening and what's coming. It eases our minds and give us confidence that we can handle the future.
But we can also easily fall in to ruts. Though statis can be comforting, it can also be boring and dull.
To combat this, to shake things up so you can have a new perspective, see things a new way: Try Something New.
- Drive a new way to work.
- Work with people you haven't worked with before.
- Instead of jumping on the weekly conference call from your desk, get up and go to the meeting site (obviously, this only works if its in the same building or on the same campus).
- Set up a lunch with someone you don't know very well, but would like to.
- Take a walk at lunch.
- Eat your lunch outside.
- Sign up for a training session or a take a class on something you've always wanted to learn.
- Read a book from a genre you wouldn't normally choose.
- Take on a leadership position, or, allow yourself to be a part of a group and go with the flow.
- Challenge yourself to do something you normally wouldn't like speaking in front of people.
There are so many things you can do to just shake up your routine a little. Just that little effort to do something differently can be a boost to your energy and mood.
Try it, tell me how it goes.
Here are the first 12 in the series: